Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Next, Last?, Surgery Scheduled

I have set up Sam's next surgery for August 18. He will have the plate on R femur removed and the flexible titanium nails inside his L femur removed. We have planned an overnight stay for pain control. the surgery starts at noon, we report at 10:30. We will have x-rays taken just before that so a little earlier than 10:30. I want to check on his back. he complains occasionally of back pain. If he was a typlical kid I wouldn't worry about it. However I know that there is FD in several vertabrate and the spondylothesis between L5 and S1. I just want a baseline of where he is. His limp is also variable, sometimes almost unoticable, this past sunday i saw him dragging his R foot. The morning of his surgery will be a challenge to keep him away from food and drink. I think I'll try to find a pool for an early swim. I also want to plan a family trip to a water park before the surgery since he will not be able to swim for a few weeks after surgery until the surgical scar completly heals.

I found an x-ray on line that shows why we need to get the hardware out now: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2656851/
I am having trouble getting the link to work to just the pictures. If you go to the article then scroll to the end, you will see two x-rays showing hardware with bone grown over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment