Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Kindergarten!!!


Kindergarten is here! Sam is loving it. It took quite a bit to get things ready, but we did. I almost scheduled the surgery the last week of August. I'm so glad I didn't. The day before school started we did our traditional get up early an go out for breakfast and clothes shopping to help jump start getting up early thing. We were at the Mall of America and he did a lot of walking with his walker but we did notice his right leg looked different the way he held it.

The week after surgery, before he was walking on a regular basis, he met his teacher for an assessment of where he was. This is done with all the kids. The teacher had lots of questions about what he would need and I didn't have real firm answers. I emailed her the next week with an update. That started a fury of emails and phone calls to make sure everything was set. The school has assigned a para to him to insure he is safe. His teacher told me one day that she caught him trying to climb up the play fridge they have in the room.

First day, pictured above, is an orientation with parents. He was disappointed that it was so short and I was with him the whole time! He was so excited to get on the bus the next morning. Wouldn't even turn around for a picture! We do hand the walker up to the aid and he uses the railings to climb with.
Sam is not using a walker at home any more. We send it to school to use in the hallways, but he doesn't use it in the classroom any more. His official restrictions from surgery have ended. The school wants a statement from the doctor about what he should be doing and not. We do not have a visit scheduled until March. I'm trying to get hold of the doctor for this.  He starts PT next week. So hopefully the therapist can give us some answers the school is looking for.

I did get the results of the DXA scan. Overall he has good bone density, looking at the whole body scan. his hips (which I am learning refers to the pelvis and the proximal femur attached to it) and femurs are fragile though, espically the right distal femur. So there will be another fracture someday. A few times a week something happens that makes my heart stop. I get this sinking feeling, thinking momentarily that something has happened. Like this past Sunday. I was in the elementary kids program, helping in the back with the tech stuff. A volunteer from the preschool-Kindergarten room came to the door and talked to a worker there. I had the sinking feeling that lasted the whole time until I got up to the volunteer and found out he was only acting out and not cooperating. We are there for two services and he was bored with things by the middle of the second service.

Sorry it has taken me so long to post about school. I guess once I finally got it all set up I just collapsed in a way. I am starting to come around a bit. I have started going to the gym again to use the elliptical.

No comments:

Post a Comment