Friday, July 13, 2012

Mail

Today's mail brought four envelopes from Gillette. Sam's vitamin D level dropped almost 20 units over the winter. Some other labs were off too. He is to take prescription vitamin D and more labs in three months. It was hard reading the transcript from the developmental pediatrician. Definite problems. I'm also second guessing the surgery. Hearing is fine. It is late at night and my mind is going.

.................

Trying to catch up here. this was written March 24 and not published as I had more I wanted to write. Now I'm not sure what it was. This past spring we had check ups for orthopaedics, endocrinology and neurosurgery. The above paragraph is about the endocrinology results. We have now finished the prescription vit D and retested with good results his levels are now up to 53.  We have to do a 24 hr urine catch still to complete that testing.

 Neurosurgery ended up postponed until late spring due to a problem Sam's brother was having.  When we finally got in things looked fairly good as far as the chiari goes. He is still having a few headaches a month, but that is livable. What surprised me there was being told for the first time that he has a lesion near his right optic nerve we need to watch over time. We went to a opthomalogist and he is a little nearsighted, not enough for glasses yet,  but otherwise OK. So he will have yearly MRIs, neurosurgery and opthomalogy appointments.

Orthopaedics threw me for a loop. It was a six month check up and I assumed all was OK. Well the lesion mid-shaft on his right femur had expanded and Dr Healy was now recommending a bone graft to force his body to heal it. This is kids of controversial as FD bone usually gets "angry" at a bone graft and comes back worse than before. Dr Healy knows this and has told me so. The reason he wanted to do this for Sam was that he had healed the two previous femur fractures so well with very little trace of FD in only one femur. I contacted a doctor in Des Moines, Iowa about it and finally decided to go ahead with it. I think I have told about this surgery else where in this blog.

1 comment:

  1. The information provided by you is really good.But I think it may be descriptive.Thank you for giving this information.

    Regards : neuro surgery in India

    ReplyDelete